Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Journal 2: School 2.0 Reflection Tool

(NETS 5) I looked at the fifth NETS-T Module, Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership. The standard that I chose to investigate was number three, "I regularly evaluate and reflect on current research and apply promising practices for suing existing and emerging tools and resources in support of students learning." The reason that I chose this standard was because the resources looked interesting and this is something that I would really like to make sure I do when I have a classroom of my own. I think it is important to be aware of the tools and new things that are available, however it is also important to be critical of these new ideas in order to make sure they are right for the circumstances. Something I found in the resources for this standard was a blog called Digital Education. This seemed like the perfect resource for this standard because it is something that outlines current events in technical aspects of education. Specifically I noticed it is a discussion of the latest tools, which provides both positive and negative feedback through their discussion and people's comments. It showed me that blogs can be a great resource in critical analysis of educational technology tools. For example, in one blog post, the author talked about popular videos for math education, the Khan Academy. It discussed a video critique of these popular videos and provided links to them so that I could view them and decide for myself. If I was using the Khan Academy videos to support my lectures, in certain cases, this would help me decide if flaws that were pointed out to me might be presenting concerns in student understanding. Overall, I think this was a great resource to help me understand how to make sure that I am regularly researching and evaluating new tools in order to incorporate some that are appropriate for my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment